After a great meal with friends, and a few too many wines, I love to pose two questions to the group: 1) if you were to make a film about your life, who would you cast in all the major parts? and 2) who would you invite to your fantasy dinner party? They are oldies, but they're goodies and never fail to provoke a hilarious, at times weird, but always interesting conversation.
My fantasy guest-list does tend to change every time I’m asked the question - some would say I’m fickle, I would answer that I’m merely “dynamic” in my opinions. Either way, here’s who I would currently be polishing the silverware for:
1. Jamie Oliver (also know as “plan b” in my house – I just love him)
2. Prince William and
3. Kate “the Duchess” Middleton aka the Cambridge’s
4. Graham Norton
5. Billy Connelly
6. Lena Dunham (for the sheer wit and shock value, I’d sit her next to my rather conservative husband and just enjoy the show)
7. Julia Child (or maybe Meryl Streep dressed as Julia Child… can’t decide)
8. Nora Ephron (American journalist, playwright, screenwriter, novelist – the list goes on. Also responsible for some of the greatest feel-good movies of all time, When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail)
Now, it may not be the most high-brow, Nobel Prize winning, fancy-schmantzy guest list there ever was – but there would be a lot of laughs and it would be a great party, that’s for sure. Plus, if things don’t work out in the kitchen I can call on Mr Oliver to roll-up his sleeves, so it’s a win-win really.
If you want to waste an idle hour on your commute home this evening, have a think about who’s on your list. That way, at your next social gathering, when someone (like me) comes out with the old clichéd question, you’ve already got it down pat. You’re welcome.
Have a great weekend.